Konosuba Yorimichi Vol.3 - Chapter 1: Evil Crimson Demon!


Credits

INCLUDE THIS SECTION IF YOU TRANSLATE THIS TO OTHER LANGUAGES

Feel free to translate this to other languages/get in touch to further improve, just make sure as to include the credits section as included here. Thanks.

Konosuba Yorimichi Anthology Volume 3 by Natsume Akatsuki
Illustrations by Kurone Mishima
Published by Kadokawa Shoten on September 29th, 2023.

Original crappy translation by H. Berry (contact: aitch99berry@gmail.com)


Upcoming chapters will be posted on Patreon and Ko-Fi first!


Part 1  

 

It’s been a while since we settled in the town of Axel. Not long after arriving to this world I endured plenty of hardships after getting a huge amount of debt, but that’s all paid off. I can finally live in peace.

“I’m thinking on going on a trip.”

While I was yawning on the couch, I heard Aqua saying something that could throw away our peaceful life.

“That’d be nice, but aren’t you on cooking duty tomorrow?”

The daily life in our mansion I don’t want anything unnecessary when things are so calm.

“That’s ok; I’ll be back by dinner.”

“Then you’re going on a picnic, not a trip. I bet you’re scared on going alone and want us to come along, right?”

There are many dangers outside, including giant frogs, Aqua’s nemesis.

“Just Darkness is fine; Megumin and you are not good enough to guard me.”

“Alright, Megumin, block her escape routes! She’s been able to laze about so much she’s become reckless. If we let her go, she’ll end up in trouble.”

“I’ll show her who is ‘not good enough’!”

“Wait! Why are you acting like what I said was wrong? You’re a greedy NEET and Megumin will cast explosion the moment you take your eyes off her.”

That’s not an apology at all.

While Megumin took her position, I rolled up my sleeves and approached Aqua.

“Waaaaaaah! Darkness, help me! I haven’t done anything wrong, but these two are trying to do something terrible!”

“I could hear you all from the kitchen…” Darkness appeared carrying a tea set, looking confused.

“Aqua, why do you want to go anyway?” I asked while Darkness poured tear for everybody.

“We're going to pick up oddly shaped stones. We've searched in all the rivers around here already, so we're going on an expedition to the rivers up in the mountains.”

She just wants to waste time.

“I’d take you with me, but you’re a greedy NEET that’d steal any valuable stone. And Megumin’s short temper means she’ll just explode the whole river.”

I don’t collect junk, but she’s right on the money with Megumin, who suddenly looked away.

“Alright then, Megumin and I will stay home; Darkness, I’ll leave Aqua in your care. If you run into a monster, make sure to run away, okay?”

“W-wait a minute, I have to go!? I have a bad feeling about this!” Darkness dropped her teacup in panic as she protested, but Aqua grabbed her hand and took her away.

“The crusader has to protect the priest! I want to be back by dinner, let’s go!”

Megumin and I saw off the reckless Aqua drag Darkness away.

 

Part 2

 

We were bored, Megumin and I went to Wiz’s shop to see if there was anything interesting to find.

“Kazuma, Megumin, welcome. Vanir is out and I have nothing to do for now.” A greening Wiz greeted us.

The masked devil was nowhere to be found. He’s probably trying to make up for the losses of the shop owner.

“I’m going to make some tea now, feel free to window shop around.”

“Thanks. Well then, let’s look around.”

Recently, it’s become difficult to tell if this is a magic tool shop or a café.

“Wiz, what is this ‘forbidden crimson bloodstone’? Its color is beautiful, but why is it forbidden!?” Megumin picked up a red stone from the shelf. Apparently, the color and name struck a chord.

Guess she’s entering the age where she’s becoming interested in this kind of things.

“Ah, that's the name Vanir gave to the red stone Lady Aqua found. It's just a stone, there’s nothing special about it, but Vanir said that if we put it on the shelf a Crimson Magic Sucker would buy it—”

Megumin threw the stone in the trash without letting her finish.

“By the way, I got some products from your village the other day, but Yunyun bought them already.”

“What was that girl thinking? I wanted some too!”

As the two were chatting about, I picked up something, “Hey, what’s this ring? There's no name or description, not even a price tag.”

It was a black ring, somewhat ominous and tasteless looking. It may not have been for sale, as it was on the counter rather than the shelf.

“I’m not sure, I think Vanir bought it. Let me take a look.” Wiz began appraising the ring using a magic tool that looked like a magnifying glass. She looked at the ring intently, her expression becoming increasingly grim “This seems to be a ‘demon ring’. It has a powerful curse on it. Those who wear it will gain a great dark power, but it’ll come at a price. Why would Vanir keep such a thing—?” Before Wiz would finish, the ring was snatched.

Megumin took it and put in on her finger with no hesitation.

“W-w-w-w-w-w-what the hell are you doing!?”

“Megumin!? That's a cursed item!”

Megumin held her hand above her head and looked at the ring with fascination, her eyes glowing an intense crimson, “When I heard that it contained dark power, my Crimson Magic heart demanded I take it! Come on demon ring, show me your power!”

“No, no, don’t do that. I can’t let a little girl hold such a dangerous item! Hey, stop fighting, give me the ring!”

Megumin curled up on the ground, protecting the ring, “Kazuma, you may also be fascinated by the power of darkness. But this is a first come, first served! I won’t give it back until I exhaust its power!”

“Why the hell would I want the ring! Just take it off and give it back!”

While Megumin was still on the ground, the front door suddenly opened, a mocking voice resonated, “Why are you fools making such a fuss? I could hear you from outside.”

Vanir appeared in a good mood and a bag full of money.

“Vanir, you finally came back! Megumin is in trouble because one of your products…”

“My product? What am I supposed to say when the shop owner keeps wasting our money? With these payments I received, I’ll finally be able to purchase quality goods—” Vanir suddenly stopped and froze after seeing Megumin on the ground.

The all-seeing devil must’ve figured out what she was holding.

“Foolish girl! Are you wearing a demon ring?”

Megumin turned to face me, still curled up “What’s the problem on using a magic tool from a magic tool shop? Kazuma will gladly pay for it, there’s nothing to complain about!”

“Is there no brain inside that head of yours, girl!? That rare item was brought directly from hell to be sold to a wholesaler! Are you trying to force me to break a contract!?”

“Don’t drag me into this. I will not pay for such a dangerous item!”

Perhaps realizing her disadvantage, Megumin finally stood up. “Guess it can’t be helped. But I must declare that I am worthy of it.”

Talking defiantly, she then obeyed and held out her hand for me to take off the ring.

“…I can’t take it off.”

“What!? …that means the ring has acknowledged me as its true master, asserting itself by not letting anyone else wear it! Guess that’s that, Kazuma pay for it. They won’t give it away for free, I’ll pay it back eventually with my allowance…”

Wiz did say it is cursed; Megumin must’ve put it on knowing it couldn’t be taken off easily.

Vanir stopped Megumin while she was celebrating like an idiot. “A cursed ring is naturally cursed; it can’t be taken off normally. However, given the current circumstances, there’s only one thing to do.”

“Huh? A high-level archpriest could lift the curse… but Lady Aqua is not around for now.”

Vanir shook his head. “Wiz, bring a priest. A good one will be able to reattach the finger.”

“What!?”

“W-Wait, what is he thinking of doing!? Kazuma, say something!” Megumin hid behind me, her face pale.

“Wiz, lend us the back of the store. I’ll use Steal on Megumin until the ring comes off. Not sure if it’ll work against cursed items, but it’s worth a try.”

“That won’t work, you’ll take everything BUT the ring! Listen, I’m sorry for getting carried away, please wait until Aqua comes back!”

 

Part 3

 

Megumin was complaining as we passed through the city’s main gate. “It’s not fair for a nice girl to take on two at the same time.”

“Pick your words more carefully. It all happened because you acted like an idiot. It’s a cursed item, why would you want a cursed item?”

Megumin can only cast one spell per day, I don’t want ‘the price for the power of darkness’ to make her an even more joke mage.

“But you are curious about the ring’s power, aren’t you Kazuma? Otherwise, you wouldn’t be following me around.”

“Well, that's true...Vanir said it was a rare item.”

Megumin was to keep the ring until Aqua returned. Vanir told her not to do anything reckless, it’s clear that he doesn’t know her very well.

“Let's try out the power of darkness against our natural enemy, the giant frog. I don't know what the price is, but I’m willing to take the risk.”

“You're already at risk.”

Megumin patted me on the back as we were looking for some frogs. With just the two of us, at most we’d be able to fight one, if there are more than that we’ll have to run away or get eaten.

I looked around cautiously with my enemy detection skill. Not long after, I detected a frog.

“There's one on the hill ahead. Can you draw out the power of the ring?”

“I’ve felt magical power surging from deep inside my body for a while now. I think I can do something new!”

That does not give me a good feeling. If the power of darkness is useless, then I’ll have to save her.

While I was pondering, the frog noticed us.

“It's coming! Go, Megumin! Show us your new power!”

“Damn, my eyes ache. I can feel power gathering in my demon eyes!”

Megumin tossed her eyepatch and struck a strange pose as the giant frog jumped towards her.

“Behold the power of darkness that has awakened inside me!”

A black beam of light fired from Megumin’s eyes, passing clean through the frog. Not quite as powerful as explosion magic, but it killed it in one hit.

“That's amazing, Megumin! You did it, it’s not moving!”

“MY EYES, MY EYES, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Megumin was rolling on the ground covering her eyes.

“That was a good, but that self-damaging attack won’t do. You think sunglasses or some kind of visor would help?”

“Don’t take this so calmly, the cost is too high!”

After using Freeze on her eyes, the pain subsided somewhat. Finally being able to see again, she checked her accomplishments.

“As an user of explosion magic, the power is unsatisfactory. But I guess it’s convenient to be able to fire so easily.”

“I’d rather have a mage that can fire a spell multiple times a day.”

Hearing my opinion, Megumin held up the ring and tilted her head. “Just by looking, I can feel there’s more to it…” Then she looked at me, as her right eyed glowed red my body stopped moving.

“Huh!? Hey Megumin, what did you do? I can't move!”

Megumin looked surprised for a moment, as if she had used her power without realizing it, then she smiled triumphantly and flipped her cloak around, “This is my magical binding eye! Kazuma, if you want freedom, swear an oath! That's right, swear your eternal loyalty to me, a descendant of darkness!”

“Remember this when Aqua takes care of that ring. It’ll be too late to cry and apologize later.”

The overconfident Megumin trembled slightly at my words, “Kazuma, are you sure you should say something like that now? I think it’s unwi-AH—!!”

“AHHHHHHHH—!” I screamed before she could finish. “—are you saying you’re going abuse of my body while I can’t move? Damn, but even if you take my body, you’ll never take my heart!”

“Don’t make it seem like I’m Darkness! I was thinking of tickling you!”

At that moment, my enemy detection skill reacted from where Megumin shot her beam earlier, there’s something there.

“Megumin, break the spell! There’s a frog behind you.”

“You think I’d fall for that? I bet you’re planning on doing something perverted if I break the spell, aren’t you? If you swear not to do anything, I might release you.”

She really thought it was a trap up until a frog jumped behind her.

Megumin showed a cute smile. “I might’ve gotten carried away; I’ll break the spell right away. You aren’t the kind of person to take things personally, right Kazuma…?”

 

Part 4

 

After defeating the other frog, Megumin and I headed back to the guild to sell the frogs’ meat and get our reward.

“Kazuma, you need to be more serious when giving a warning. You’re such a liar that’s difficult to believe you…”

The frog nearly swallowed Megumin by the time I rescued her. Because she was between the frog and me, she served as bait.

She was covered in frog slime and complained all the way back.

“Don’t make me sound like the boy who cried wolf. It’s your fault for being overtaken by the power of darkness.”

“That phrase ‘being overtaken by the power of darkness’ sounds cool. However, as a wielder of explosion magic, I cannot succumb to such meager power…”

Megumin opened the door to the adventurer's guild, Yunyun was waiting for us in the other side.

She looked surprised for a moment, then fidgeted as if she wanted to say something. It seems like she wants to ask Megumin what happened, but she's holding back because she doesn’t want to interrupt or something.

I had to greet her, “Hi.”

Hi, Kazuma. What luck to meet in a place like this Megumin! It’s another fateful encounter; let’s settle our rivalry, right here, right now!”

“Argh! Kazuma, she’s so annoying, don’t provoke her!”

Yunyun seemed happy after greeting Megumin, but she angrily waved her away. There’s no way I could leave such an interesting spectacle as is.

“Oh? It’s a showdown between the true and joke Crimson Magic Claners!”

“Yunyun and Megumin? Unless Megumin cheats, my money is on Yunyun!”, “Megumin is used to fighting, she may be a joke mage, but when it comes to arguments, she doesn’t wait two minutes before throwing a punch.”, “Megumin is strong in fist fights because she has a high level. Yunyun’s should be high as well.”

Everyone was guessing which one would win, ignoring the two that were supposed to be fighting.

Then, one adventurer stood next to me with a drink in his hand and said, “I’ve been wondering for a long time Kazuma, which one would you bet on?”

“Front my point of view, their levels are about even, Yunyun is much more physically developed, but Megumin may be smarter. However—” In a blunt manner, I assured the adventurer, “—Megumin has a short temper, she’s also an idiot who gets angry easily. She may be smart, but certainly not wise.”

“I see, I can totally agree with that.”

“Stop talking about us as if we were betting animals!”

While the whole guild was discussing, Megumin barked and got ready. “If I don’t take you on now, people will think I’m a coward! Remember the power of my demon eyes! Crimson Eye Bind!”

“!?”

Megumin opened her eyes and hit with a surprise attack.

The usual dumb speech caused the guild to erupt in laughter, until everyone noticed that Yunyun was acting strange.

“I-I can't move...!?” Yunyun said, frozen in place, as everyone in the room started to make a fuss.

“W-What's wrong, Yunyun? There’s no need to hold back just because you’re old friends.”, “Yunyun is just going easy on her.”, “I thought Yunyun was the only decent member of the Crimson Magic Clan...”

“No, no...! I-I really can't move!”

While Yunyun defended herself with tears on her eyes, Megumin burst into laughter with a triumphant look on her face, “Fuhahahahaha, behold my true power! You will not call me crazy explosion girl any longer!”

“I thought you didn't care when people called you that, guess you’ve taken it to heart.''

Megumin, blushing at my comment, then stared at a female adventurer, “Shall I show everyone proof? Crimson Eye Bind!”

“—Eh!? Wait a minute, I can't move either!”

Seeing the adventurer frozen like a statue, the onlookers turned pale and retreated.

“Seriously? Did Megumin really awaken new powers?”, “It doesn’t seem out of the ordinary for the Crimson Magic Clan...”, “Not unusual for Kazuma’s party either…”, “Megumin’s specialty is being useless outside of explosion magic though. What are you going to do Megumin, stop being Megumin!?”

“Crimson Eye Bind!! Crimson Eye Bind!!!” Megumin cursed those making unnecessary comments as the rest of the guild further retreated. She then turned to the frozen archmage, “Now, Yunyun, are you ready? Let's show them who's on top!”

“Wait, you’re cheating! I've never heard of the demon eye and it's a surprise attack!”

Unable to move, Yunyun complains half-crying, which seems to have struck a chord with Megumin, who tends to be a bully.

“Fuhahahaha! If you admit defeat and call me ‘Master’ from now on, I will forgive you! Otherwise, I will continue to place my demon eyes on you and turn you into a guild ornament!”

“AHHHHHHH! I-I won't! I'll never admit something like that, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH—huh?”

While Yunyun was crying out, Megumin’s eyes suddenly flashed and her hat bulged, as if being pushed by something.

“...Megumin, you're growing horns!”

Two small horns grew on Megumin's head.

“W-what do you mean!? O-oh, what is this! There's something on my head!”

“Hey, what did you do?”

Yunyun screamed as Megumin panicked, scratching the horns on her head.

“Members of the Crimson Magic Clan grow horns in addition to demon eyes, huh?”, “Don’t you know? Apparently, they all have a tattoo somewhere in their bodies too.”


“What the hell... Well, it’s Kazuma’s party, guess he must’ve done something weird again.”

While I was mad about how everyone talks about my party, I stared intently at Megumin.

“Let’s see, demon eyes, horns and petite body. Aren’t you a masochist?”

“I’m not in this state because I want to. Darkness will get mad at me if she hears about this!”

This mysterious phenomenon is definitely a side effect of the ring. Megumin must have thought that too, as she stared at the ring with a confused look.

 

A bit later.

“You used the ring after all, didn’t you? My, you look so happy!”

Before I knew it, Vanir had arrived at the guild, laughing while holding a lot of talismans in his hands.

“Those horns are the price of using the ring? What will happen if she keeps using it?”

“Hmm, it’s used by demon worshipers to change classes. If she keeps using it, she’ll become a demon herself.”

Oh.

“Hey Vanir, will Aqua be able to stop it?”

“That priest? If she arrives before this joke mage turns into a joke demon, sure. However, there’s little chance that the two-person party of that woman and the muscle crusader won’t run into trouble, I can accurately predict she won’t be around for a while.”

What a coincidence, I could also see a future where Aqua would come home late and crying.

Megumin didn't take her eyes off the ring, as if she was thinking very seriously, perhaps confused by the idea of being turned into a demon...

“Hey Megumin, did you hear? Everything will be fine once Aqua comes back. Don't worry—”

“…explosion demon…? Megumin, the crimson explosion demon…”

Apparently, she was thinking about what to call herself now. Clearly with no remorse or concern.

“I am demon eye Megumin, the great demon who engulfs everything in flames! Bow down to me, adventurers! When my eyes shine, you’ll sink into a sea of flames unable to move a muscle—”

“Don’t call yourself a great demon without permission, junior demon! Don’t you dare insinuate that your demon eyes and my all-seeing eye are at the same level!”

Vanir grabbed Megumin by the head as he stood between the two archwizards. Then he ostentatiously showed one of the talismans to Yunyun, “Well, statue girl who has been unable to move due to this joke demon’s power; here is today’s product! This talisman nullifies spells, just paste in on your forehead and voila! The only downside is that it’ll make you look silly. Starting at the low price of 30.000 Eris.”

“Vanir, give me that! I can’t move right now, please put it on my forehead!”

“Huh!? My demon eyes will become useless!?”

Yunyun was finally able to move after Vanir pasted the talisman on her forehead, alongside its bill. Right away she took her money and paid. The rest of adventurers called out to Vanir.

“Vanir, give me one too! I have been frozen for a while.” “Me too, me too! Please, Vanir”, “One can’t be too careful around Megumin and those eyes of hers, just in case, give me one too!”, “There’s no way she won’t abuse her power, one please!”

Megumin froze as her newly acquired power became useless. Vanir on the other hand, was on a good mood selling so much, “Thank you, thank you! Fuahahahahahahaha, you've done well, junior demon! If you turn into a full demon, I'll give you a demon manual for beginners at a particularly low price!”

“I don't need that! Please don't sell more talismans—!?” As Megumin protested, a dagger was pointed at her.

The owner of the dagger, Yunyun, had a determined expression, her eyes glowing, and her body trembling slightly, “Me-Megumin... I'll stop you before you completely turn into a demon...! B-Because friends help each other before they go down a dark path!”

“Settle down Yunyun, I’ll be fine once Aqua comes back! W-Wait why is everyone looking at me like that!?”

Three adventurers were closely approaching Yunyun, as if to support her.

Or rather, those three…

“Hey Megumin, how about you try to freeze me again!”, “You think you’re going to get away with messing with people like that!?”, “I wouldn’t do this if this was a one-on-one, but with three of us, and Yunyun, we can’t lose!”

Yep, it was the adventurers Megumin froze earlier.

“Hey, it's cowardly for four adventurers to take on a defenseless girl!”

As the adventurers with talismans pasted on their foreheads got closer, Megumin realized that this was a bad situation and retreated.

“You were bowing before me just a moment ago!”

“I got the talisman pasted on me, I'm not afraid of the demon eyes anymore!”, “Hey, crazy explosion girl! Try saying ‘sorry for getting carried away’!”

Megumin took my hand, “Kazuma, let’s back off for now! We’ll counterattack later!”

“Hey, stop it! If you're going to run away, do it by yourself, don't get me involved—!”

For such a small girl she’s quite strong, she dragged me away from the guild while I try to resist as to not get caught up.

 

Part 5

 

Megumin dragged me to a nearby park.

Feeling melancholic, she muttered to herself while on the swing, “We’ve known each other for so long, I can’t believe my beloved friends at the guild would turn on me like that…”

“The only one who ‘turned’ on you was Yunyun, for everyone else that was very natural behavior.”

Megumin smiled faintly at me, “Kazuma, you’re so kind. The only ally that remained with me, a great demon…”

“You’re a junior demon at best; either way don’t call yourself that so openly. Things will go back to normal once Aqua returns, stop acting like a lunatic.”

Megumin stopped the swing, “…Kazuma, shouldn’t you be a little more concerned? A dear friend of yours will abandon her humanity; you should say ‘I’ll do everything in my power to help you!’”

“I don’t know about that; your demon eyes seem more useful than dumb explosions. I don’t really care if you go back or don’t.”

“Stop calling my explosions dumb! Just act a little worried at least...”, Megumin was so upset that she stopped moving, “Kazuma, are you saying that no matter what happens, you'll still love me?” She looked up at me with an expectant expression.

“I did not say that, I just don’t care if you’re a witch cosplayer or demon cosplayer.”

“Please stop calling the traditional Crimson Magic Clan clothes cosplay!”

Witches and demon girls would not be out of place in Shibuya during Halloween.

 

Then.

“You have horns! Are you an ogre?”

A little girl was talking with Megumin.

“I am not an ogre. I am the embodiment of evil, shunned by the world and an enemy of the gods themselves. That’s right… I am a demon.”

She’s so full of herself. If she keeps talking like that, I’m sure Vanir will get angry. The girl’s expression lit up at Megumin’s dumb explanation.

“You are a demon!? So cool!”

The little girl was looking at her with respect, she’s probably still at an age where she doesn’t know the difference between right and wrong.

Megumin's eyes twitched, “Cool? You shouldn’t have any admiration for the likes of me, I am a dark being hated by humanity. Well, it’s true that evil and demons have cool elements to them, but we demons are looked down upon by humans…!”

Despite what she said, she very much seemed to enjoy what was happening.

The little girl tilted her head in confusion, “But demons are good, aren’t they? They’re very kind!”

“…huh?”

Cool or strong? Sure, but I’m not sure about kind. I found myself tilting my head just like the little girl did.

“The demon I know is strong and kind! The other day he defeated an evil crow that was bothering my mom!”

Oh, she meant him. I’ve heard Vanir is popular with the neighborhood wives, guess he’s helping them out when he’s free.

Demons aren’t that uncommon in this town, there’s a shop full of them, the best shop in town too.

Megumin finally came to after the shock of the little girl’s speech, “…W-Well, that’s right. As long as you maintain your resolve and a heart of justice, you won’t be overtaken by darkness. Not all demons are evil!”

Just a while ago she was gloating about how darkness took over her, she really doesn’t have a sense of justice.

“Kazuma, how wrong I was. Let’s go down the path of demons! Even if the world shuns me, even if Aqua and the police get angry!”

“The police already hate you, don’t make it worse. If you keep going not only, you’ll become a demon, but maybe even a demon king!”

As if I said just what Megumin wanted, she threw up her cloak and loudly declared, “I am the crimson demon Megumin! She who engulfs everything in flames! When these crimson eyes shine my opponents sink into a sea of flames! Come on world, bow before me!”

“So cool! The demon girl is so cool! Demons are cool after all!”

A loud voice echoed through the park as Megumin laughed in good spirits after being praised by the little girl.

 

“She’s over there! The junior demon with the bounty!”

“!?”, Megumin's eyes widened in surprise at the sudden announcement of a bounty.

When I looked in the direction of the voice, I saw some familiar adventurers.

“W-wait, the bounty is for me!?”

“Who else? Your poster is all over the adventurer’s guild.”

“What do you mean!? The moment I decide to become a good demon… No, this may be fitting for someone who has fallen into darkness.”, Megumin was talking to herself. I can’t imagine that the guild would put a bounty for a junior demon. It couldn’t be those adventurers either…

“Hold on, who put the bounty?”

“Yunyun did!”

“That girl! Fine, if that’s how you want to settle things Yunyun, then let’s do it!”

With a bounty from her best friend, Megumin threw away her façade.

The adventurers didn’t attempt to apprehend the self-proclaimed demon, they just blocked the park’s entrance, perhaps waiting for reinforcements.

“Kazuma, this is an unprecedented crisis. I'm prepared to release an explosion in town and become a true criminal, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.”

“Listen, I’ll try to do something, just don’t use your magic!”

The adventurers tensed while listening to our conversation.

“W-wait let’s talk first. She has turned into a demon, but let’s not do anything crazy. Vanir said that Aqua can cure her!”

“N-no, we're not really planning on hurting Megumin...”  

An adventurer muttered something, perhaps feeling a bit put off.

“People make fun of me because my adventurer’s card only shows giant frogs and kobolds, do you think if I take down Megumin, I’ll be called Megumin Slayer?”

“If you manage to do that, make sure you brag about it for the rest of your life!” Megumin said something outrageous.

I doubt she’d show up on the adventurer’s card to begin with, but if by any chance, he’s going to carry that weight.

“No, we have no intention of capturing or slaying Megumin.”, “That’s right, Yunyun told us that she’d give us 5000 Eris if we told her where she was, that’s it.”

“Wait, are you selling me out for the price of a drink? Kazuma, outbid Yunyun!”

Yeah…

“I’ll give you 5030 Eris if you pretend you didn’t see her.”

“Am I worth so little to you!? Kazuma, don’t let my name show up on an adventurer’s card!”

“Will Megumin’s name be listed in the adventurer’s card?”

A small, chilling voice was heard through the park as the sun sets.

When I turned to the origin of the voice, I saw Yunyun standing with the setting sun behind her, a talisman on her forehead, and a thoughtful expression on her face.

 

Part 6

 

Not sure for how long she’s been there, Yunyun looked serious.

“I put a bounty on Megumin, but I had to stop everyone for going after her. If anybody else got the Megumin Slayer title, they’d become a mockery for the rest of their lives.”

“No, they wouldn’t! It’d be something to brag about to the whole world!”

Yunyun ignored Megumin, “Her name will be on MY adventurer’s card…” She looked up, her eyes glowing crimson, “Megumin, today I will defeat you and forever engrave your name on my adventurer card! That's the memorial I can give you as a friend!”

“W-Wait, why are you so serious!? Once Aqua come back, I’ll be fine!”

Yunyun snorted at Megumin's uncharacteristically desperate tone, “Megumin, you’d never let go of a power like this. If an evil god offered great powers in exchange of sacrificing a friend, you’d totally do it…”

I might consider it—whoa, what are you doing!?”

While Megumin answered Yunyun thrusted out her dagger without hesitation.

“Yunyun, show some restraint! I’m worried too!”

A teary-eyed Yunyun yelled at Megumin, who hurriedly avoided her, “I’ll show no hesitation on striking you down, doesn’t matter that we’ve known each other for so long!”

Megumin parried Yunyun’s dagger with her manatite staff.

“Is this a battle between members of the Crimson Magic Clan...?!”, “High level mages don’t fight by shooting magic, they do it in a close quarter fight!”, “Advanced magic takes a while to cast. To an observer it may look like a children’s fight, but this is a reasonable way to settle things…”

Realizing she was at a disadvantage due to the reach of her dagger, Yunyun threw it away and jumped on Megumin, who countered right away by grappling her.

“Kazuma, I got her! Now, kick her ass!”

“W-Wait a minute Megumin! This is a duel, is unfair to ask for help!”

Perhaps because they were on similar levels, the two remained still with their hands clasped together.

“Why don’t you get your friends to help you Yunyun? We are adventurers, it’s natural to be assisted by our comrades! Hey, Kazuma, what are you doing!”

Despite Megumin asking for it, I was reluctant to kick a girl’s ass when she wasn’t doing anything wrong. So instead, I spanked Megumin.

“W-What the hell are you doing Kazuma!? I told you to attack her ass!”

This girl again, she should pick her words more carefully. I really don’t want to be seen as her friend in a situation like this…

“I should be able to do plenty of things now that you guys can’t move, right?”

“!?”

As if sensing some incredible danger, the two let go of one another and jumped back.

“I may have asked for it, but I very much relinquish help from my friends now!”

“I must never get friends, not like this!”

I’ll need to apologize to her later. Yunyun pulled her wand. Seems like she's going to use magic as a desperate measure.

“Are you insane, Yunyun? If you use magic in the city, you'll be in trouble!”

Yunyun lowered her wand. Guess it must’ve been a huge shock for the crazy explosion girl to question her sanity. Though not long after, she raised her wand again, unable to hide her anger.

“D-don’t worry Megumin, only advanced magic and beyond is forbidden, intermediate level is fine!”

“Huh? Usually, I’m at a disadvantage because I can’t use explosion magic. But now I have the power of darkness, prepare yourself!” Megumin said as she focused her eyes on Yunyun.

“The demon eyes won't work anymore! I'll numb you with lightning and then cut off your horns!”

“You think that’s all I’ve got! Come on, take this!”

The two yelled as they braced themselves and unleashed their attacks at the same time.

“'Lightning—AHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Crimson Eye Lightning—AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Megumin fired a beam of light from her eyes that struck Yunyun directly, giving her a powerful electric shock. On the other hand, Yunyun’s attacked missed entirely, Megumin was screaming from burning her eyes by her own attack.

“Ah, uhhhhhhhh...”

“MY EYES, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Hey, what's going on? Is this a tie?”, “Megumin is rolling on the ground after shooting something from her eyes that hurt her somehow, Yunyun missed…”, “I see, does that mean Megumin wins?”, “Given how she’s screaming, Megumin’s attack hurt her more than Yunyun. Better call it a draw.”

Just as the onlookers said, the two were on the ground.

“…is this a battle between members of the Crimson Magic Clan...?”, “Are they really high-level adventurers? Is this truly a high-level battle...?”

While the onlookers were confused, Megumin unsteadily stood up and began to feel for Yunyun with one hand while covering her eyes with the other. Yunyun laid silently on the ground, twitching slightly.

“Didn’t you say you wouldn’t hesitate on striking me down… Come on Yunyun, let’s settle our rivalry, right now!”

“…”

Just like the onlookers said, this does not look like a battle between high-level mages.

 

Suddenly, a voice called out to this children’s quarrel.

“Just what are you two doing?”

At the entrance of the park stood Darkness and Aqua, covered in mud and slime respectively.

Rather easy to tell what happened to them, but Aqua was carrying a bulging backpack, seems like their trip was a success at least.

“That voice? Aqua! Please help me, I need you to heal me!”

“Y-you’re still c-cheating Megumin! D-don’t call for h-help in a f-fight!” Yunyun raised her voice of protest.

“You idiot, you fell for it, so that’s where you are!!”

“A-ah!? How c-cowardly are y-you!”

Megumin, pinpointing where Yunyun was, jumped on her direction. Her eyes still closed.

“It’s not cowardly to use a good strategy, I just used the Crimson Magic Clan’s well-known high intelligence. Now, Yunyun, are you ready?”

“W-wait, I s-surrender, s-stop ahhhhhhhhh—!”

At that moment, seemed like Megumin's victory was all but confirmed.

“Heal! Sacred Break spell! Sacred Exorcism!”

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Suddenly, Aqua released a barrage of healing magic on Megumin. She rolled on the ground as a large cloud of black smoke was released from her body.

“Megumin! You must be careful when wearing strange things! That ring you had was cursed, I don’t know where you got it from, but I got rid of it.”

The ring crumbled to pieces in front of Aqua. With it gone, the horns fell off Megumin too.

After feeling her now hornless head, she turned white seeing the ring turned to dust and asked, “…Kazuma, could you lend me some money?”

“If it’s to pay for the ring, I won’t lend you any.”

 

Part 7  

 

Later.

A lot of things happened. After Aqua healed Yunyun, she attacked Megumin and they got into another fight, while the teary-eyed Darkness complained about her trip.

“In the end, I lost the power of darkness...”

Leaving Aqua and Darkness off so they could take a bath, Megumin and I headed out of town to complete our daily routine.

“It’s a shame you lost those useful powers; but if you turned into a demon, Aqua would’ve exorcised you.”

“I-I don't like that. I can't stand Aqua threatening me all the time...” Megumin looked frightened for a moment, then sighed, “I thought that if I could get that power, I would be able to help a little more.”

I thought she was simply being dumb, but she wanted to help all along...

“Come on, let’s go to the explosion spot. The sun will set soon.”

Maybe she was embarrassed, Megumin walked in front of me, hiding her face. I smiled bitterly and followed her.

“Well, I guess I'll pop into Wiz's shop occasionally. Maybe I'll be able to find more rare items.”

“By the way, Kazuma, I wanted to ask you something...”

“I won't lend you money.”

Megumin looked away as she remembered about the ring’s compensation but seems like she found today's explosion spot.

“Here is fine. A moderate rocky area, good amount of bushes. It's a nice place to blow away.”

“I may be an explosion connoisseur, but I still don’t understand how explosion spots are good or bad.”

Megumin didn't explain, but she let out a faint smile. “It’s a shame I lost the power of darkness, but I still have explosion magic!” She declared out loud as if she was completely overwhelmed and began chanting.

As I prepared for the sound and shockwave, Megumin showed a confident smile.

“Explosion!”

 

But nothing happened.

“Huh!? What the hell is going on—ah!?”

Becoming extremely shaken, she suddenly noticed something, “Kazuma, please use Drain Touch and give me some mana! The demon eyes drained all my magic!”

“I’d help you, but my magic power is not enough to cast explosion anyway.”

Megumin clutched her head and screamed.

“If I can’t use explosion magic then I’m useless! Kazuma, I’m going to Wiz’s store, please come with me! I’ll protest Vanir for selling me a defective good.”

“You were praising those demon eyes up until now…”

 

Megumin went on to the magic tool shop to complain, but was received by an irate Vanir, who cursed her to be unable to cast Explosion until she paid her debt.


Contents

Chapter 4: Absurd everyday life in another world! (Coming Soon)
Chapter 5: My Cheat! (Coming Soon)
Afterword & Color illustrations (Coming Soon)

If you liked what you've read here and would like to help to make more feel free to support on Patreon or Kofi!

Comments

Post a Comment