Konosuba Yorimichi Vol. 4 Chapter 5: The Pride and Determination of a Rookie Adventurer

Credits

INCLUDE THIS SECTION IF YOU TRANSLATE THIS TO OTHER LANGUAGES

Feel free to translate this to other languages, just make sure as to include the credits section as included here. Thanks.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku Wo! Yorimichi 4-Kai Me! by Natsume Akatsuki

Illustrations by Kurone Mishima.

Originally published by Kadokawa on February 28th, 2026.

English translation by H. Berry


Chapter 5: The Pride and Determination of a Rookie Adventurer

 

Part 1

 

The sound of bells echoed throughout the city.

Something that the townspeople have been waiting for a long time.

Many were at work; others were about to go on a quest.

From NEETs to housewives, children and even the drunks, everyone rushed to the main gate.

Everyone cheered with beaming smiles, some were even crying.

Darkness’ father, Duke Ignis Ford Dustiness, has finally returned.

He walked through the main gate with a dignified and composed presence, accompanied by a large number of soldiers, making the crowd erupt in cheers.

The Duke looked slightly bewildered by the reception. Perhaps he hadn't expected the townspeople were so fond of him. Embarrassed, he gave a small smile.

“Father!” without exchanging greetings, Darkness jumped into her father’s arms.

“Oh!? Ahahahaha, what’s the matter, Lalatina? Were you that worried about your old man?” He beamed with joy as he gently embraced his beloved daughter with a father complex. “It’s alright. With the curse lifted, the Demon King Army had no chance against me. I understand you’re lonely, but everyone’s watching, let go of me… Lalatina, let go of me! Let go! I can feel my bones breaking! Lalatina!”

Darkness grabbed her father with such passion he started to scream.

Seeing his face lose color, Megumin and I hurried to stop her.

“Stop being such a daddy’s girl and let go! He made it back alive, but you’re killing him!”

“Darkness, your father is foaming at the mouth! I can’t let you become a Father Slayer!”

Finally being pulled away, Darkness looked at her father with tears welling in her eyes.

“I’ve been so worried about you I haven’t been able to sleep at night… I’m so relieved you returned safely…”

The Duke is way too soft at her daughter, so he smiled, even though he was seconds away from being broken in half.

“I see, I’ve heard you’ve been having a hard time… you mentioned you couldn’t sleep at night, but you don’t seem particularly stressed—”

“Father! I have to apologize. I was unable to fulfill my duties as acting lord.” Darkness pleaded tearfully.

The Duke put his hand on his daughter’s lowered head, as if to reassure her.

“It's alright, Lalatina. I've only educated you as a lady. Being suddenly entrusted with the responsibilities of a lord must have been difficult. That failure is mine, not yours.”

Educated as a lady, huh?

Ignoring what I and the rest of the onlookers were thinking, the Duke smiled gently.

“You did well while I was away, leave the rest to your father. That said, I’m tired from my long journey, I’ll rest well and get back to work tomorrow. Hehe, I’m sure you’re eager to hear about your father’s heroic deeds. Of course, I’d also like to hear how hard you worked, Lalatina,” he playfully winked.

“Sorry to interrupt your family reunion, but there's something I need to tell you.”

I hate being the one to do this.

The Duke realized it was me, and without scolding my rudeness, he smiled.

“If you say it's important, I'll listen. Did something happen while I was away? I’ve been called the kingdom’s trusted confidant. I don’t think there’s anything that can faze me…I don't believe there's much left in this world that could surprise me.”

The crowd immediately fell silent.

Sensing something, the Duke slowly lowered his hand from Darkness's head.

“Alright, I’ll start with the smaller issues. Army locusts are approaching the city. They’re expected to arrive tomorrow. A horde of undead is also coming from the opposite direction.”

“Army locusts? Yes, I guess it’s that time of year. And the undead… fine, let’s arrange for an interception right away.”

He glanced at Aqua for a split second. Seems he figured out why the undead are coming.

“With cities in the frontlines occupied, the number of refugees has increased, and that has caused security concerns. Fights among local adventurers and refugees have become commonplace. Also, a stupid game called Flash Fireworks using Flash magic scrolls has become popular. The police can’t do much against them as the jail is overflowing with Axis and Eris priests.”

“...I see. I’ll do something about that too.” The Duke’s face twitched slightly, but he answered calmly.

“Also, thanks to the brave efforts of a certain adventurer, a mountain qoatlus was defeated. However, the qoatlus’ mates are seeking revenge for the slayed male, so two females are circling the skies above, searching for the culprit. She didn’t do anything wrong, but her life is in danger now.”

“I heard about that. A mountain qoatlus is a monster with a high bounty that flies through the continent attacking people and carriages from the sky. It’s good you slayed one… I’m used to problems in this city. Something like this doesn’t faze me anymore.”

Seeing his smile, I felt relieved, and finished telling him everything.

“Also, Darkness became an Axis Cultist.”

"Bring everyone responsible for driving my daughter to this point before me immediately."

The crowd scattered like spiders.

 

Part 2

 

All the troublemakers were assembled in front of the Dustiness manor.

Our party, of course, but also Cecily, one of the main instigators of the whole satanist incident, Vanir and Yunyun.

Also, the leader of the adventurers from the frontlines, none other than Angie herself, who was pale and shaking.

And all the Eris and Axis priests.

And a bunch of frontline adventurers.

Least to say, the mood is very somber.

The duke looked straight at me…

“First of all… I understand you assisted my daughter while I was away. Will you assist me now as well?”

“Of course, I’d be honored to.”

In a short amount of time, he learned of everything that happened while he was gone.

Even so, he’s not quite as mad now that he knows Darkness didn’t actually convert. If anything, he’s impressed he just used their doctrines to skip work.

Nonetheless, given how the duke isn’t even trying to hide his anger, there’s no way a feeble commoner like me could refuse.

Judging by his eyes, he’d probably have me executed if I did.

"Next. The adventurers who disrupted public order while I was away."

“YES!” A dozen pale adventurers answered in perfect unison.

“To those from the so-called frontline group. I understand your circumstances. Having recently returned from an expedition myself, I understand the desire to unwind. I also understand why local adventurers might be annoyed by a group of outsiders arriving and immediately looking down on them. But…” he suddenly showed a cheerful smile. “Clean up the mess you’ve made. You will be repaid, as I’ve returned with more funds than I need, so I’ll give you everything I’ve earned. If you do a good job, you’ll be rewarded, and you can’t expect what will happen if you don’t do a good job. Hahaha! It’s a noble joke, laugh if you want!”

“AHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

The duke smiled satisfied, even though that laughter wasn’t genuine at all.

Until he suddenly turned serious again, the dry laughter disappeared instantly.

"Now then. Let us all work together to solve these problems."

Just when everyone seemed ready to submit to whatever he was going to order, something happened.

While most of us knelt with our heads down, Vanir stood proudly.

“Fuahahahahaha! A pleasure to meet you, Duke. A hardworking ruler who endured a curse from a fellow great devil and lived to tell the tale! I am Vanir! I’m aware your daughter and her subordinates have told you of my true identity,” Vanir’s smile twisted into a frown as the Duke remained expressionless. “These troublemakers brought it upon themselves, so I believe they should pay for their crimes. But I, however, only sold perfectly legal goods. I cannot, and should not, be made responsible for their actions. As such, I don’t feel guilty nor responsible whatsoever. However, as a fellow Duke, I cannot simply ignore your authority.”

“By my ducal authority, I hereby rename the headquarters of the Axis Cult, Arcanletia, to Vanir Mildo. Starting tomorrow."

Vanir fell silent.

Apparently, having the holy site of the Axis Cult named after you is really bad.

“Wait a moment! I won’t let you give the holy city of Arcanletia such a ridiculous name! If you do that—!”

“In the Kingdom of Belzerg, there is a nobleman known as the demon noble. I’ll appoint him as the new acting lord of Vanir Mildo.”

Aqua fell silent too.

Apparently, having your holy city governed by a devil is really bad too.

"Anyone else unwilling to cooperate?"

Nobody spoke up.

The duke nodded in satisfaction, and then turned his gaze to Cecily, who was trying to hide between the troublemakers.

“To all the released priests! A horde of undead is approaching the city. You will eliminate it. Complete this task and all charges will be forgiven. Any objections?”

“No, we’ll gladly slay the undead,” Cecily and the other priests nodded mechanically.

The duke nodded once again.

“Next up, the frontline adventurers!”

“Y-yes!”

So, she really is the leader of the frontline adventurers. As the pale senior spoke with a trembling voice on behalf of the whole group.

“Be glad! Your home town is free once again. There’s no need to bother with the rookies in Axel anymore. You can go back home, aren’t you happy?”

“We are,” Angie replied emotionlessly, moving her mouth like a doll.

“But I’ve heard the local adventurers caused you plenty of trouble. You can’t lose face as veterans. So, I’ll prepare an opportunity for you to redeem yourselves. You’ll be able to show off in front of your juniors. Is that acceptable?”

“That is… acceptable…” Tears welled in her eyes. She clearly wants to refuse, but there was no way she could.

“You’ll exterminate the army locusts. Make sure not one of them is left. Show me the pride and determination of veteran adventurers. Can you do it?”

“I’d rather—! Yes! Yes… we can do it…”

Seems she was about to reject the idea, but completely defeated, started to look around as if pleading for help.

And somehow our eyes met.

Don’t look at me like that, it’s not like I can do anything for you.

Seeing Angie on the verge of tears, the duke burst into cheerful laughter.

“Hahaha! Of course I wouldn’t make you handle the extermination on your own! I have a plan!”

With that, Angie visibly relaxed.

“Phew… I thought we’d have to do it all on our own…”

“There are plenty of frogs living around the city! Use them. Release swarms of frogs and let nature solve the problem. Anyone with Decoy can help lure the locusts.”

“Wha—” Angie finally burst into tears. Several of the other veterans followed her lead.

Judging by the atmosphere, they still don’t believe they have enough firepower to deal with the army locusts.

“Miss Yunyun!”

“Ahhh! Y-yes!?” Yunyun was keeping her distance from everyone else.

“Can you use Weather Control magic?”

“Y-yes, I’ve mastered Advanced Magic. Oh, I see! Rain is effective against the locusts!”

They can’t fly with their wings wet, so during rain, they’re just regular grasshoppers.

“Exactly. Please accompany the veterans. Additionally, large-scale spells such as Inferno or Tornado are very effective against them. If you succeed, your crimes will be forgiven.”

“O-Okay! I’ll do my best!” Yunyun’s face lit up as she approached the veteran group.

Woah, this may be a life changing moment.

If she does well, a party may scout her!

“...hey, you’re the crazy member of the Crimson Magic Clan who’s been attacking us, right? You can come with us, but we won’t be thanking you. With this, we’re just even!”

“!?!?!?!?!?!?!? N-No! I haven’t done anything like that! That definitely wasn’t me!”

Probably not.

Standing beside me, the true culprit immediately pulled her hat down to hide her face.

For some reason, Angie ignored Yunyun’s desperate pleas and stared directly at us.

“So… what about the two mountain quoatlus? You’re not letting the rookies take care of them, are you?”

“That is the plan.”

Of course, we’ll have the worst job.

But a proud veteran adventurer like Angie simply couldn’t accept that.

“Duke, with all due respect, qoatlus are extremely dangerous monsters. High-level adventurers hunt them in large groups. Recently I learned that a great wizard capable of Explosion Magic lives in this city, but even then, the qoatlus will be cautious. That man may be a pathetic loser, but still...” Angie trailed off, tears welling in the corners of her eyes.

The other veterans look equally serious.

I noticed this when I went on an adventure with Angie, but the difference in enthusiasm between them and us is just too much.

While this is supposed to be a town for beginners, we’ve defeated several Demon King Army generals, the Mobile Fortress Destroyer and Great Spirits without much issue.

Sure, a few people ended up visiting Lady Eris along the way. But everyone came back eventually.

As I reflected on Angie’s heartfelt plea, the duke calmly replied.

“Do not be concerned. They will defeat the qoatlus without suffering a single casualty.”

As Angie looked at him with a puzzled expression, he grinned.

“The idea that Axel’s adventurers are all rookies is a complete falsehood.”

 

Part 3

 

Cecily and the priests departed immediately to deal with the undead.

Meanwhile, the qoatlus continued circling above the city beneath the dazzling morning sun.

Angie looked straight at me, her group was also gathered, all looking very seriously.

“Right. We’ll do whatever it takes to defeat the army locusts and come back as quickly as possible, so... don’t do anything, pathetic loser! Wait until we return!”

With a hint of sadness in her voice, she turned around and left with her group.

Yunyun shot a resentful look at the brat standing beside me before reluctantly following them.

Once she was gone, Megumin finally raised her head.

“Ha! That girl something I didn’t quite understand. It almost seemed as if she meant to say we were supposed to wait for her. Ridiculous! It’s clear she wants to snatch our bounty!”

I don’t think that’s what she meant, but Megumin is dumb.

Raising her staff towards the sky, she proclaimed. “The heavens shall not be your haven! You’re gravely mistaken if you think just because you’re out of my range you're safe! The moment you come down I’ll become an official Qoatlus Slayer! I’ll show you the strength of Axel’s adventurers!”

Completely ignoring Angie’s warning, Megumin began provoking the qoatlus.

Yeah.

“Let’s show those arrogant veterans what we’re made of!”, “They’re way up here, we need to get them down!”, “They’re not as big as the Kowloon Hydra, but it’s been a while since we’ve had such a high bounty target, we won’t let them get away!”

The rest of Axel’s adventurers joined in.

Everyone is acting full of themselves, but has anyone considered how we’ll defeat the qoatlus once they come down?

Of course not, not even the so-called genius.

There’s two of them, what if one avoids the explosion?

Everyone here is dumb.

The atmosphere of despair and seriousness of the veteran group disappeared with them, as all the dumb rookies cheered like idiots.

“Everyone seems motivated,” a familiar, dignified voice cut through the group of adventurers.

Turning around, I spotted Duke Dustiness, clad in armor.

“Father! You can’t possibly be planning to fight against the qoatlus too!?”

I wasn’t expecting the duke to join us.

The duke grinned. “It’ll be good for you to see what I can do once in a while. Besides, I’m not so irresponsible as to stay back while my daughter fights against high-bounty targets.”

In response, someone whistled. And then, one after another, the adventurers began to cheer.

“Long live Duke Dustiness!”, “Dustiness! Dustiness!”, “The duke is wonderful, but please lower the taxes!”, “Well done, duke! I can see why your daughter is such a daddy’s girl!”

“Whoever said that, step forward!” while first enjoying the cheers, the duke suddenly turned serious and retorted in a quiet tone.

Everyone averted their eyes, the Duke glared back with a piercing gaze, as if to say You’re here as punishment, don’t get cocky.

“Now then, Kazuma. As my assistant, do you have any ideas for bringing the qoatlus down?” he asked, almost as if teasing me.

“Well, sort of…”

Seems nobody was expecting me to answer that way, as the adventurers gasped.

“All the stupid adventurers here have those Flash Fireworks. Let’s use those.”

“Who are you calling stupid? You’re one of us!”, “But the qoatlus are way too high up! You’re dumb! You’re a dumb-dumb pretending to be smart! Stop calling us dumb!”

“Shut up!” I pointed at the yapping idiots. “I’m still explaining! Listen first, or I’ll use Steal on whoever interrupts me! I only had one scroll. I’m not like you morons who spend all day playing with them!”

(He’s really trying to provoke us today.)

(Should we beat him up?)

(After we kill the qoatlus.)

(At least let him finish talking first.)

(He’s an idiot, but sometimes he’s a useful idiot.)

I can hear them very clearly.

I’m mad because while I helped Darkness I had to constantly clean after your messes!

“A magic scroll activates when it’s opened. So, we throw unopened Flash scrolls into the air and have archers shoot them with Snipe. The scrolls will open and activate. Once the qoatlus descend, Megumin finishes them with Explosion.”

Everyone fell silent.

“Your plan makes no sense! Nobody can toss something so far high up!”

“At best someone with your high luck stat may be able to fire one scroll, you idiot!”

“There are three monsters, two qoatlus and one Megumin! We need two explosions!”

“Don’t count me as a monster! Otherwise, I’ll fire an Explosion right here on you!”

“Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal!” I held out one hand to the yelling adventurers. “...phew, a wallet. Good thing it wasn’t that.”

“That’s not good at all, give me back my wallet!”

I tossed the stolen wallet back and continued. At last, the adventurers fell silent.

“I know pathetic losers like you can't throw things that high. You see, not only am I a great guy, I'm also incredibly lucky.”

(Let's just beat him up now.)

(Wait. He's almost finished. Let's hear him out and then beat him up.)

(Why is this loser so lucky? Lady Eris must've made some kind of mistake.)

I can still hear them.

But I think that if I provoke them anymore, they’ll actually attack me, so I called out to Aqua.

“Aqua! Cast a support spell to make them stronger, and blessings too!”

“...I see, fine, I’ll show you what I can do!”

Apparently understanding my plan, Aqua happily puffed out her chest.

“Where's Vanir? ...Actually, we need Wiz too. She can cast Explosion.”

The city is in danger. Since Vanir was called in to help, I naturally assumed Wiz would be around too.

“You see, young man, while I was away, the debt-ridden shop owner nearly bankrupted the business, so I had her work until she could no longer move. She worked tirelessly manufacturing the magic scrolls, however, it seems this was an unforeseen consequence. She was recently engaged in a fierce battle with the ferryman of the River Styx, but I provided adequate nourishment. She should recover soon but will not be available during this battle.”

This is all the adventurers’ fault.

Even those who were criticizing me a moment ago seemed to realize their mistakes and felt silent.

Meanwhile, Duke Ignis, who had been watching as if evaluating me, suddenly laughed.

“Hmm. Let's give this plan a try. If we can bring down even one qoatlus, that's enough. There are two dukes here, after all. Leave the rest to us.”

“Oh? You’re borrowing my power? If we succeed, then you’ll legalize the flash fireworks.”

“Absolutely not, all existing stock will be used today and permanently banned afterward. Last night I looked out from my balcony and the city was brighter than daylight. At most, I'll forgive the manufacturing of illegal goods.”

Vanir immediately backed down, albeit with a very displeased expression.

In the skies above, the qoatlus were letting out high-pitched cries, perhaps excited by the commotion below.

Darkness tugged at the edge of my cape. “What should I do, Kazuma? These were supposed to be my responsibilities. I'm not particularly clever, but if there's anything I can do to help, tell me.”

Seeing his brave daughter, Duke Ignis' expression softened.

Although Darkness eventually gave up on her job, I know she worked hard.

She can also be rather smart, she tends to be quite perceptive.

Since the Duke tested me, I decided to return the favor.

“If everything goes well, you’ll have to protect Megumin. Get what I mean?”

“Hmm... since they're so high up, we'll need them to come into her range. Qoatlus are intelligent monsters, so they'll prioritize Megumin once they identify her as the threat. I understand. Leave it to me.”

Nice.

It’s endearing to see the duke happily as he watched his beloved daughter act so mature.

Looking around at the rest of the adventurers I’ve grown quite familiar with, I saw them all nod in agreement.

I signaled to Aqua.

“Let’s go!”

 

Part 4

 

“Strength! Strength! Strength! Strength! Strength! Strength! Strength! Strength!”

Filled with excitement at the prospect of a large-scale battle, Aqua ran around casting support magic on every adventurer she could find.

“Blessing! Blessing! Blessing! Blessing! Blessing! Blessing! Blessing! Blessing!”

Bathed in a faint golden glow, everyone grabbed their scrolls.

“Alright! Let the fireworks show begin!”

At my signal, every adventurer hurled their Flash scrolls skyward with all their might.

With Aqua’s support magic, they got really high.

Before they could start falling, every Archer in the city, including me, raised their bows.

“Snipe!”

Naturally, thanks to my absurd luck stat, the arrow I fired pierced the flower growing on one of the qoatlus' heads.

“Kazuma, you’re the only one who missed! How did you hit the flower!?”

“Those flowers are worth a lot!”

“This isn’t the time for arguing, look! The scrolls opened!”

With Darkness pointing at the sky, all the adventurers raised their voices.

“Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash!!”

(Pyaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!)

The enraged qoatlus that tried to catch the flower I hit, had its eyes burned out by the flash.

Unfortunately, the other qoatlus managed to avoid the trap.

The blinded quoatlus flapped its wings unsteadily as it descended; soon enough, it was in Megumin’s range.

Her chant complete, she raised her staff toward the sky.

“It's truly unfortunate that I won't be able to demonstrate my power against the locusts! Behold Axel's signature magic!

Explooooooooooooooooosion!

A massive explosion struck the sky above the city’s main gate.

With a qoatlus blown to bits, cheers and screams erupted simultaneously from the terrified residents looking up from their homes.

Many of the windows of the houses nearby were shattered by the shockwave.

As if in response to the roar of the explosion, the distant sky was suddenly covered in black clouds. Seems the battle against the locusts is also underway.

The adventurers’ spirits were lifted with one of the quatlus down.

Meanwhile, the surviving qoatlus fixed its gaze on Megumin, who was currently lying face-down on the ground.

“Decoy!” Darkness activated her skill and stood in front of the collapsed Archwizard. The qoatlus’ hostility instantly shifted.

“Darkness, I appreciate your help, but how exactly are you going to protect me from that thing? Even you’ll have a hard time holding such a massive monster…” Megumin looked up with a worried expression.

Probably sensing that she wasn’t going to fire again, the qoatlus seized the opportunity and swooped down towards Megumin.

Well, maybe she’s targeting Darkness, but Megumin is behind her.

“Don’t worry! I was able to protect Kazuma even when the Kowloon Hydra pounced on me! I’m also an Advanced Class, we’ll be fine!”

“What is that supposed to mean!? Don’t tell me you plan to do that again!?”

Megumin is being dragged into Darkness’ fetishes.

The two are right in front of the main gate.

While she’ll probably be able to withstand a qoatlus. The monster is huge, but to fly it also needs to be light. But I’m not sure if the surrounding walls will hold on.

“Kazuma, Kazuma! Darkness is trying to use me in her twisted games! I’m sorry for making fun of you Darkness, please come back to your senses!”

Completely ignoring Megumin, Darkness stood tall.

“With my friends behind me, I’ll never surrender! I won’t move one step back!”

Damn, why does she need to be so crazy!?

Parents should look after their children, so I turned around and…

“Oh! Should I watch my daughter's heroic moment or help her!? Why didn't I bring a magic camera!?”

And he’s supposed to be the kingdom’s trusted confidant? Why is Papaness also crazy!?

The surrounding adventurers began gathering near the gate to support, but…

I remembered the qoatlus from last time…

Looking up to the qoatlus swooping down, I repeated what my bratty senior said.

“Qoatlus treasure those flowers. They become extremely aggressive when they lose them.”

Without hesitation, I fired an arrow at the descending qoatlus.

“Go! Snipe!”

For once, the luck stat that had caused me endless trouble actually worked exactly as intended. The arrow cleanly severed the flower from the qoatlus' head.

With perfect aim, the qoatlus chased after the flower. And with a heavy rumble, it landed some distance from the main gate.

At the tip of its enormous beak, was the flower…

“Don’t let it escape! Everyone, make sure it stays on the ground! Bind!”

As I shouted orders, I threw out a steel wire.

Seeing me, others tried to use Bind to entangle the monster’s wings.

Some used their snipping skills and aimed for the eyes, while others tried to pierce the membranes of its wings. Everyone did what they could.

My wire wasn’t long enough to entangle the giant wings, and even with everyone sniping, we couldn’t pierce through.

However, the attacks to the eyes seem to be effective, as the qoatlus raised its head trying to take off again.

“Do you have more steel wire?”

Before I could respond to the voice next to me, I tossed another wire. But even faster than the wire, a spear pierced through the qoatlus.

(Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!)

The qoatlus glared with burning rage. Besides me was Duke Ignis, frozen in throwing position.

The steel wire I tossed was connected to the shaft of the spear impaled on the qoatlus left claw to the duke’s left hand.

Still gripping the wire, he ran towards the monster and shouted. “Whoever cuts off the monster’s wing will get a special reward! Attack!!”

The duke reached the gate and tried to attach the wire to it, only to realize at the last moment that it wasn’t long enough.

The gate has a huge bolt. Duke Ignis grasped it firmly with his right hand and wrapped the wire around his left arm.

“While the Duke holds it down, cut off the wings!”

The adventurers swarmed the qoatlus.

Duke Ignis endured with a red face, but even the most robust, high-level Duke has his limits.

If this keeps up, either the wire will snap, the bolt will break, or worst of all, Duke Ignis will lose an arm!

“That’s not fair, father! That’s my job!”

“Ugh... perhaps I really did raise my daughter incorrectly...”

You mean he thought he did a good job?

As Duke Ignis broke out in a cold sweat and lamented about her masochist daughter, a voice of relief rang out.

“I’ll help you, Duke! But I’m expecting a good reward! My name is—” The blonde thug was suddenly trampled by the qoatlus and buried before he could announce his name.

Aqua, who had been wandering around aimlessly this whole time, waited until the qoatlus moved away and then headed towards the crushed thug.

Judging by the way she reacted and began chanting, the damage is bad enough Resurrection is needed.

I promised Angie there wouldn’t be any losses, but if Aqua revives him, that death doesn’t count.

Everyone attacked the qoatlus, hacking away at its wings, but as expected of a monster with such a high bounty, it’s absurdly tough.

“Hey Kazuma, are you not going to do anything!?” an anxious, and face down Megumin suddenly yelled.

“With my strength? Not really. Someone has to cut the wings—”

Perhaps those words served as a flag. Because the very next moment—

(Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!)

“Fuahahahahaha! Hahahahaha! What a delight! What a delight!” It was Darkness, wearing Vanir’s mask. “This devout follower of Eris has borrowed the power of a devil to save her father! Rejoice, Duke! You're witnessing your own daughter being possessed by a devil before your very eyes! How does it feel!?”

Darkness’ father complex made her unable to withstand the situation, she literally sold her body to a devil.

It must be really shocking to him.

“W-W-W-WHAT!? My daughter! My daughter has been possessed!?”

“That’s right, Father! (It is true…) But I’ve been preparing for this for a long time! (Wait, I was just teasing you to get bad emotions. The job is done…) I will use the power of this abominable devil and, for the sake of the city, I will defeat the qoatlus! (Stop talking nonsense, you fool! Don’t take the lead!)”

Rather seems like Darkness took over Vanir.

If the succubi find out about this they’ll be furious. I absolutely can’t let them know.

“The deal was I’d pay you to help me cut off one of the wings, but I’ll give you another 5000 Eris if you cooperate a little longer! (That’s way too cheap!)”

Having unilaterally arranged a deal, Darkness made full use of her super jacked body and cut off the other wing of the rampaging qoatlus.

Then, to ensure Vanir couldn't escape, she grabbed the mask even tighter.

“(I've done enough! I must return to the shop!) Just a little longer! We're friends, aren't we? Remember when I asked about the locusts? You humiliated me in front of everyone at the guild! (I was feeding on negative emotions! Stop saying things that could be misunderstood!)”

“What is happening…? As a Duke and a father, what am I supposed to do…?” Seeing his daughter forcibly exploiting a great devil, the Duke seems to be reaching his limit.

“Papaness' emotional stability is collapsing! We have to rescue Vanir!”

“No, this is fun, let’s watch for a while longer! Darkness’ level has increased a lot since the last time she was possessed, she’s way stronger!”

“Yes. I want to see a complete Darkness takeover.”

Not only Megumin and Aqua, but the other adventurers also decided that it’d be better to have the Vanir possessed Darkness support.

A female adventurer rushed up behind her.

“Lalatina, hold on to the mask like that! I’ll tie a string around the back to make sure it can’t come off!”

“Oh, just give up, Devil! You can't resist forever! (Stop! Or I'll curse you so your butt makes loud noises whenever you get flustered!) What's wrong, Vanir? Your mouth says no, but your body says yes! Stop resisting and it won't hurt! (Don't phrase it like that, you parasite!)”

And so, Vanir was securely attached to Darkness.

With the qoatlus finally powerless, the adventurers charged once more.

“Darkness will take all the credit! A qoatlus that can’t fly is just a big monster! Surround it!”

“Don't get flattened like that idiot earlier! Move!”

“If I get the reward, I’ll eat my fill of grilled meat!”

With no way of escaping, the qoatlus was quickly defeated by the greedy adventurers and the sexually assaulting Darkness.

 

Part 5

 

“Vanir and Lalatina helped, sure, but most of the credit belongs to me! I'm the one who tied the mask on so Vanir couldn't escape!”

“I reduced collateral damage by cutting off the qoatlus' tail! Duke Dustiness, surely that deserves recognition!”

“Then we Archers deserve most credit! If we hadn’t shot the Flash Fireworks then we would've been able to take down the first qoatlus!”

Next to the qoatlus’ body, the adventurers are fighting among themselves.

“What the fu…” Covered head-to-toe in frog slime, Angie stared at the scene in disbelief.

The battle against the locusts must’ve been something.

Except for Yunyun, all the locust group is covered in slime.

“Great work, slime brat. But you're too late if you want a share of the bounty.”

“At no point did I say I wanted any part, pathetic loser… Seriously, what the… Did you really defeat the qoatlus?”

Angie and the rest returned about half a day after we defeated the qoatlus.

Yes, the Axel adventurers have been arguing for that long.

“Move aside, Angie. I'm going to educate these idiots. Hey! Stop fighting! The credit obviously belongs to me! This entire operation was my plan!”

“What are you talking about? Your plan was ass!”

“Yeah! You barely did anything during the actual fight! You're only lucky! Other than that, you're a pathetic loser!”

As Axel’s adventurers are rookies, they all have low intelligence.

“You guys are the losers! I used my luck to shoot off the flower off the qoatlus! They get angry without it and chase after it! I didn’t miss at all, that was part of my plan! Hell, if everyone tried to shoot the flowers, then we wouldn’t have needed to use the scrolls!”

“What is this dork saying? You’re just a pathetic loser that can’t do anything on his own!”

“We already defeated the quoatlus, let’s kick his ass!”

“Oh yeah, we were going to do that. But the girls should stay back, or he’ll try to use Steal against them!”

The adventurers who are refusing to acknowledge my achievements are resorting to violence.

I hid behind Angie.

“I have Angie of the Scarlet Blade with me! She's an Advanced Class! She'll effortlessly defeat weaklings like you!”

“Don't drag me into your pathetic fights!”

While the battered and bruised Angie tried to push me aside. Yunyun approached cautiously.

“Um… Where’s Vanir? I don’t see him anywhere. Did he return to the shop?”

“The defiled devil trudged away looking miserable.”

“What happened while I was gone!?”

I could see Darkness with a radiant, satisfied look on her face.

And then…

“There are the priests returning from the undead extermination. Good. That resolves everything at last,” Duke Ignis was ignoring the adventurer’s disputes, but he gazed into the distance and declared. “Regarding the credit for this… Yes, all of you caused problems while I was away. However, in the end, everyone contributed to protecting this city. Therefore, in recognition of your efforts... I shall overlook every crime committed during my absence.”

The adventurers fell silent at the generous declaration.

“That’s not fair! You said we’d get a reward!”

“Yeah! That’s tyrannical! I already decided I was going to treat myself to grilled meat as a reward!”

“What happened to all the money you earned!?”

The greedy adventurers booed.

All adventurers in this town, except us, of course, are pretty rough around the edges.

Duke Ignis smiled, until suddenly changing his expression.

“...Twenty million.” Everyone tilted their heads in confusion. So, the Duke elaborated. “The Explosion used to slay the qoatlus shattered the windows of nearby homes. The estimated repair cost is twenty million Eris. And if we include repairs to the main gate, as well as medical expenses... the total completely offsets the bounty for both qoatlus.”

The protests of the adventurers who were seconds away from a fistfight disappeared completely.

“And regarding the mountain qoatlus. It is said that once it takes flight, it won't return to the ground for days. Naturally, it also flies throughout the night… They cherish the flower on their head as it allows them to see in the dark. Perhaps, they also guide themselves with the stars, as they always head in the direction of twinkling lights.”

All the adventurers who played with the flash fireworks at night turned their heads and looked away.

“Do you understand, troublemakers!? Shall I also explain why the Dustiness family, which is rightfully a duchy, are poorer than lower ranking nobles?! Don’t you dare look away, commoners!”

As everyone endured Duke Ignis' lecture in silence, Angie leaned closer and whispered.

(Is it always like this? I mean, I told you not to do anything, pathetic loser. Weren’t you listening to me? How did the fight even start?)

(The moment you left, the adventurers started provoking the qoatlus. They thought your frontline group was planning to steal the bounty.)

Angie grimaced.

(Regardless, monster attacks like this aren't uncommon here. We've defeated two Demon King Army Generals, including Vanir. The Mobile Fortress Destroyer too. Also, apparently the Great Spirit of the Storm visits every year.)

Angie’s expression changed to one of utter disgust.

She shook her head violently.

(That’s ridiculous! Your victory today wasn’t more than a pathetic fluke! If you are as dangerous as you claim, then you should come to the frontline towns! Defeating the Destroyer and Demon King Army Generals, that’s a pathetic lie—!)

“Alright, that’s enough!”

Megumin crawled to us while glancing at Angie.

“Look at my Adventurer’s Card. It’s proof I’ve defeated several Demon King Army generals! Look! LOOK!”

Angie let out a small whimper when Megumin forcefully pushed her card to her face.

After I used Drain Touch to share some of my mana, Megumin stood up.

“So, you’re the bratty veteran who stole Kazuma on an adventure! This pathetic loser is essential to this city, and very important to me! If you want him, you’ll have to defeat me, Megumin, the top fighter in Axel!”

“Why would I want this pathetic loser? …wait, why are you calling me that even though we just met!? And what did you say his name is!?”

While first intimidated, Angie suddenly realized something.

“I'd rather not brag, I won’t repeat myself…”

“Why are you blushing? And I didn’t ask about the bragging! Did you just call this pathetic loser, ‘Kazuma’?”

Oh yeah, I never introduced myself.

“I’m Kazuma Satou.”

“You’re the infamous panty thief!? The beast incarnate, Thrashuma!?”

What hell are people saying about me? I don’t steal panties that often!

“T-then, really? Considering what the pathetic red-eyed girl showed me, and the fact that this town is so unusual—”

“So unusual that for us it’s usual.”

The frontline adventurers had begun listening intently.

“But don’t worry, there’s an Archpriest in this town that can use super powerful healing magic. I see some of your guys got injured in the fight, why not have them healed? She can even use Resurrection, she had to use it during the fight with the qoatlus.”

“Resurrection!?”

Angie is my brave senior who, despite complaining, dragged me along on an adventure.

“Make yourself at home. It’s a nice town once you get used to it.”

“I won’t stay in this pathetic town! I’m going back to the frontlines! You pathetic rookies! You pretended to be weaklings and fooled me! I wasted my time worrying about you! This town is filled with pathetic rookie scammers, don’t mess with me!”

“What!? You were acting all high and mighty thinking we were a bunch of weaklings, but it was you who got beat up by the locusts!”

“W-what did you say?! I won’t forgive you, I’ll show you why I’m a veteran! Everyone, let’s do this! Don’t look down on those who fight in the frontlines!”

“Go ahead and try, you bratty senior who acted all high and mighty and missed the big boss fight!”

A huge fight broke out between the local and frontline adventurers.

One that barely ended in a draw…

Angie and her group returned to the frontlines, cursing us until the very end.

 

Part 6

 

“I’m home!”

(Meow)

The moment Megumin entered the mansion, Chomusuke came running over.

I noticed a letter stuck to her back.

“What’s this? …looks like someone came while we were out. Hey, it’s for Darkness.”

With the letter gone, Chomusuke began grooming herself.

“...it’s from Chris. She left on a trip. Seems she couldn’t find whatever she was looking for.”

I wonder what she’s up to.

“‘After searching everywhere, I realized Axel is where the truly devout followers of Eris live. I forgive your sins.’ ...When I see her again, I'll have to scold her. Lady Eris would never approve of something like this.”

Seems Chris really believed Darkness converted to the Axis cult.

Megumin picked up Chomusuke, and then lazily jumped onto the couch.

“Well, a lot happened. Today we had a great adventure. Chomusuke, my dear familiar, listen to your master’s exploits.” Lying down on the couch, she lifted Chomusuke up in front of her with both hands.

“Everyone must be tired, so I’ll go get a bath. I’m hungry too, but it’s early for dinner… I guess I’ll have some tea snacks to tide me over while the water heats up.”

Aqua happily rushed off toward the kitchen, with Darkness after her.

“N-no, let me make the tea. It’d be a waste to waste the tea leaves.”

“Are you implying I’ll turn the tea into hot water!?”

Listening to their usual argument, I filled the bathtub and returned to the main hall while waiting for the water to heat. But then I noticed an extra serving of tea and sweets.

“Hey, dinner’s soon, if you eat those you won’t have room for anything else. You’re just like the rest of adventurers in this town, completely consumed by greed.”

“What are you talking about? This is for everyone. The ghost girl also likes adventure stories, she’s waiting naked by the table, the sweets are for her!”

“I don’t care if I can’t see her, tell her to dress! It’s distracting!”

I really need to talk to that naughty ghost one day.

“Okay, she says she’ll put socks on. I wonder what ghost clothes are made of. What do you think?”

“Just socks? And don’t change the topic! Seriously, even the ghosts in this town are so weird…”

If anything, interacting with the frontline adventurers made me realize just how odd the people here are.

I’m starting to think I may be the only normal person in this entire town.

“Well then, where should I begin?” Lying on the couch, Megumin began. “After I blasted the mountain qoatlus from the sky with my magnificent magic, victory was inevitable! Those monsters were so terrified of me that they spent days circling the city instead of attacking directly—”

“Hey, Megumin. I did most of the work. Without my support magic, nobody would've been able to launch those Flash Fireworks. If not for me, the qoatlus would've never come down. I deserve most of the credit.”

As Aqua nibbled on sweets, Darkness, perhaps recalling what she did, had a somewhat dreamy expression.

“Then I did most of the work. For my sa—everyone’s sake. I, a noble, and moreover, a devout Eris follower, had to offer myself to that devil, which allowed us to defeat the qoatlus. But dabbling in a devil’s dark powers, and everyone’s praise might’ve been too much for me…”

“You had no business mingling with dark powers. That was too dangerous, even for you. I’ve never seen the masked devil so exhausted. But what will you do if he leaves town after all your sexual harassment?"

As soon as Darkness was put in her place, Megumin spoke up. “That’s right! After seeing you I thought, why am I not using Vanir’s dark powers? Imagine what I could do with that mask! Next time I go to the shop, I’ll rip off that mask of him. I’m more suited to his dark powers after all.”

“There she goes again, just mentioning ‘dark’ gets you, Megumin. Darkness was barely able to withstand that. If you do it, your body would be taken over in no time. That masked devil would make you undress or something.”

Vanir is suffering terribly for all the information that has leaked. But then I suddenly realized something and put flowers in a vase.

It’s loot from the battle, another Helios Brom.

Now that I think about it, I was able to lure the qoatlus with it thanks to my beloved bratty senior Angie. She’s probably back in that frontline city by now.

If anything, the true MVP was her, but I won’t tell them that.

“Hey, Kazuma’s doing something weird. I fully expected him to sell that flower. But brought it here instead of giving it to the guild.”

“Well, it’s another memento, a trophy if you will. Since I want nothing to do with the Demon King, I’ll never see what those frontline towns are like. But I figured I’ll use them to remember our bratty senior.”

Megumin gasped. “Hey, now that you mention her, I was supposed to kick her ass! I can’t get a supreme victory unless I beat all those frontline adventurers!”

“Why do you hate her so much? You were clearly intimidated when you first met her. And you’re way brattier than her, if anything I think you two would get along.”

“Who did you call a brat!? I’ve always been honest and straightforward! Who do you think it’s to blame that I’m so openly hostile!?”

I ignored the rambling Megumin.

Hopefully, that arrogant, strong-willed, overly ambitious and bitchy senior will be safe.

As safe as you can be in a frontline town.

So that we can continue enjoying our carefree lives here.

As I used Create Water on the vase, I quietly prayed that one day, a superpowerful hero with a good cheat will defeat the Demon King.



If you liked what you've read here and would like to help to make more feel free to support on Patreon or Kofi!

Comments